Interesting Things to Fill Your Beautiful Skull.

Friday, January 18, 2008

technology and simplicity




I thought of this speech earlier today as I've been working at my computer. One of the things that Mr. Pogue does not discuss in his presentation is the adherence to tradition of some designers. For instance, the desktop computer keyboard.I hate keyboards. First, the QWERTY design was created to slow typists to prevent malfunction. Second, the number pad is on the wrong side of the keyboard. I was assured by an older accountant that the desktop calculator is designed to be used by the left hand. The enter and + buttons are supposed to be pushed by the thumb of the left hand while the right hand flips through ledgers or whatever accountants do.

In addition to frustrating the original purpose of the number pad, it makes reaching for the mouse even further than necessary for right-handers. Yet nearly every keyboard is laid out like this. Even the 'ergonomic' keyboards still have a number pad thrown in on the right side, without considering that proper ergonomics study would put it on the left.

Why do they do this and will this ever change? The costs of conversion for some innovations is high, but there are promising alternatives. Apple now gives us a keyboard without a number pad, because as most regular laptop users know, the number pad largely goes unmissed. And hopefully soon, I won't have to use a keyboard at all because of voice recognition and touch screens. 'Till then, I'm working on my carpal tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive