Interesting Things to Fill Your Beautiful Skull.

Monday, January 26, 2009

My Balls got Juggled

Maybe not the most appropriate title for the story I'm about to tell....

Something really spectacular happened to me today at work. I work at an elementary school. (See what I said about the title??? If I stopped now, it would be more than incriminating, I'd say.)

Normally, I write a quote and a joke on the board in the morning. I make most of my students copy them into their notebooks.

While they're copying, I take my juggling balls out of my bag and I juggle as they copy and I talk with them. After my students finished copying the information, I placed my juggling balls on a shelf in the library (where I teach).

One class had a field trip today, and I didn't have to teach for two periods. On my way from the office back to the library I saw a student who always tries to say hello to me and speak in English. This guy is always in trouble. His teachers always kick him out of class. His hair is a mess, he's got two pierced ears, and is the proverbial 'wild child.' Teachers always make faces after they speak with him.

I sat down with this student and we talked about teachers and why they say what they say. We talked about how school can be boring sometimes, but that the teachers are usually trying to do what they think is best for the students. We talked about how doing good creates good to come back to you, and the people who do bad have abd come back to them. He told me that we should always think twice about what we do before we do things. It was a really great conversation.

When I got back to the library, my juggling balls were not where I had left them. I decided to give them to the universe. They were gone. What could I do? The last chance was asking the teacher who taught in the library earlier if she saw them. She said no, but I should ask the class if they had seen them.

I went to the classroom, but nobody saw them. The teacher told me that the other half of the class was in another room. I went and asked them with the same response. Nobody had seen my juggling balls. As I left the classroom, I really said goodbye to them. As I was thinking this, the wild child I had spoken with earlier came out of the classroom I had originally asked holding the three juggling balls.

I was so excited. It was a great moment.

Now that I'm writing this, I think I might try to find a set of juggling balls and give it as a gift to the wild child.

A point for human goodness......

1 comment:

  1. A heartwarming story of hope and compassion...........

    ReplyDelete

Archive