Interesting Things to Fill Your Beautiful Skull.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Michel Gondry

I may have posted early about Michel Gondry, but it's probably been about a year, so I think I'll post about him again. He is a director that has done some very interesting things with the work he picks up. Like a few other directors that got their start around the end of the 1990s and beginning of the 2000s, he achieved recognition with music videos before he went on to make movies (like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).

Although he has many very interesting pieces, here is one that I always come back to and marvel over. It's a song by Kylie Minogue called Come Into My World. Mr. Gondry noticed that the chorus repeats at roughly 1.11, 2.11, and 3.11 and made the video repeat around that mark in time. I always wonder at how he arranged for all the extras and video editing to capture each revolution of the camera and the corresponding chaos around that intersection. This copy of the video isn't the best quality, but I have seen the full version on dvd and it is seamless. It's really quite impressive.



Here's another video he did for a Daft Punk song. The introduction of new music elements as groups of dancers is so simplistic, yet creatively managed.



Here's a vid of him explaining his thought behind the video:


And just to keep it all updated, this is a trailer for his new movie, Tokyo. I guess he films a portion of the film, but if it's like all his other work, I'm sure it's creatively bizarre to warrant securing a viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive