Interesting Things to Fill Your Beautiful Skull.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

John Jordan "Buck" O'Neil

"Buck" O'Neil was named the first black coach in the major leagues by the Cubs in 1962. He was an incredible baseball player in the organization of Negro League Baseball. Last year, Ed told me about a site called American Rhetoric. I've had his speech on my computer for awhile, and I love listening to it. Everything I read about the guy is inspiring. He gave so much back to baseball, blacks, and communities he worked in. Truly inspiring human being.

Here is the link to his American Rhetoric site with the speech I love:

"Buck" O'Neil

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked Buck. I met him once in Kansas City a few years ago. He was quite funny in person, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....you met Buck......

    That's really cool. WHat were those circumstances?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a charity function at the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City. He was the keynote speaker. I remember he made us all hold hand and sing songs just like that mp3.

    ReplyDelete

Archive