Interesting Things to Fill Your Beautiful Skull.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Board Game Olympics!

Yesterday I attended the single best event I have been to since I have lived the past year of my life in NYC. the Board Game Olympics!! A group created by a few guys residing in Brooklyn, known as MetroMetro. They set up shop back in 2002 trying to establish more playing and less working in their lives. Their main gig is setting up all extensive city scavenger hunts, but have since expanded trying to incorpate new ideas ultimately expanding the vision and smaller locations of NYC.

Not only did I get to compete in Board Game mania, but I spent my first real night in Park Slope. Good people, good vibe, and best of all, no hipsters. It was perfect.

The teams were designed 4 to a team, with 12 teams competing. The games were as follows:

2 on 2 Jenga
Team Trivia Pursuit
Team Pictionary (it is amazing some of the things we had to draw, just for fun, try drawing Don King, or shallow) what a great game!!!!
1 on 1 Connect Four
1 on 1 Battle Ship
2 on 2 Memory
and for the final Team on Team Operation

My team, "In the Observatory with the Candlestick" tied for 4th, a place I am content with. We dominated pictionary, I single handedly destroyed a Kiwi in battleship, overall it was a beautiful thing.

I was recently mistaken about a week ago, stating to a friend that I needed to spend more time with children because I was craving some good old board gamage, when it was explained how wrong I was. That what I really needed was a dose of adulthood, that is where I would find my board gameing, nerd loving, feast...how true those words were.

Board Game Olympics was was like a dream in heaven!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! You'll have to share your Battleship strategy sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i seriously am in envy of your day.

    Anytime you want to spend time with a kid (and his immature board-game-playing parents) just get on the Metro North to New Haven and someone will fetch you. We do not have pictionary, but I can promise Fireball Island (google if you do not know it) and beverages of all variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, I think I am going to have to jump on that offer when I find a free summer-time weekend. A little fresh air out of the city sounds pretty awesome...looking into FireBall Island as I type...

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my favorite Fireball Island description ...
    http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0924

    ReplyDelete

Archive